Saturday, May 29, 2010

My 1st Half Marathon

Today I ran a half marathon. It was cold and wet and not actually that fun, but I'm really glad I did it and I'll probably do another one next year.


Doing this was #3 on this list. I joined a "marathon club" in January to start training for one and today I actually ran the race! And I had the same weather I ran in back in January:

Photobucket

Lovely, isn't it? This past week leading up to the race, it was rainy and cold, but I still hoped for no rain or snow today. I wasn't worried about cold, cold is actually nice, but I knew wet wouldn't be any fun.

After the first mile, my shoes were soaked. And I had a huge cramp. I think I ate a little too much - it's hard to balance eating enough so I'm not starving during my run, with not eating too much so that I don't get sick or get cramps. I guess I got the balance wrong! I'm so obviously a beginner at the half marathon thing.

Other than that it was just cold and wet - a really friendly person drove their car by me without slowing down and I got totally sprayed with slush. Such nice people in this world - didn't they know I was running 13 miles?? Haha oh well I was wet anyway I guess.

The last few miles were just not fun at all, but I finally crossed the finish line! Clark was waiting to capture pictures of me looking like a drowned rat. :)

Photobucket

My time wasn't as bad as I was thinking - I felt like I was going sooo slow but it was a good time for me - I'm not a fast runner but I'm getting a little faster!

I'm planning on doing one again next year but I'm not so sure about this one - this weather just wasn't my favorite. We'll see!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!! You are amazing....I don't think I would have got out of bed knowing there was rain/snow outside! Keep it up.

Amy said...

Yay congrats Kinsey!!! (Maybe) next year I will be running in it too.:)

Susan said...

Congratulations!! You are awesome! Way to go!

Team Torrie said...

Wow Kins, you rock! Way to go!

Sonja said...

Good job, Kins! We should start a long distance running club:) Not running long distance, though we'd be doing that, I mean we're-a-loooong-distance-from-each-other-but-we'd-both-be-running club. I need something to push me past my two or three mile runs...love ya!

Candice said...

So proud of you! You look GREAT! Can you believe you ran 13.1 miles....pretty cool eh?
Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!