Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Color!

Choosing our inside colors (i.e. paint!) wasn't as stressful as choosing a stucco color, because walls can get re-painted, but I didn't want to spend a few thousand dollars to paint the house if I didn't like it!

We had a hard time with the sample chart our stucco guy gave us, because all of the samples are like 1" x 2" or less, and it's hard to tell what it's going to look like with a texture, on an entire house. I could have ordered samples for $100 each, and I was going to do that, but we finally found a house we liked that he had done, and he went and ordered the color. Then he came back and told us it had been discontinued and he couldn't find enough to do our whole house. So, I went back to the little color chart, and my mother-in-law and I drove all over town comparing it to different houses, trying to find a color that didn't have pink in it. I wanted a tan color, and all of the tans seemed peachy or pinky, so it was really hard to pick! I also didn't want it to be the same brown as all of the brown houses on our block.

With the weather being not-so-great, we didn't have a lot of time to spend on picking the color, because we absolutely had to have it done before winter. We don't get our final draw until everything is done, and we really can't afford to wait until spring for the $$. :) Also, I didn't want to live in a house with just the scratch coat on for months - I want it to be done. We finally decided on 'taupe' - which in my mind is usually a grey/brown color, but this is like an orangey tan color. So, it's partially on! The rock is ordered; hopefully it gets here and on the house soon!

You can't tell in this picture, really, but the side of the garage is done, and the side of the house on the right is done, too. The jut-out part on the right is going to be rock, so it's still just the scratch coat. They've got the back pretty much done, so just the garage is left!



And the flooring is started! I'm not done all the painting, but the kitchen and living room is done, so they've started laying the hardwood. The boxes for my kitchen cabinets are getting installed as soon as the floor is in!


I went and had a massage today, and it was seriously the best massage of my life. Apparently my painting muscles are lacking, because my shoulder was killing me! It's fun to get the paint on, though, because it's starting to look like a house in there!

3 comments:

Chelsey said...

yay! it sounds like you guys are so close to being finished. it looks great!

Anonymous said...

The best feeling is having stuff getting done. Randy finished, my stucco yesterday. I picked "Crem da la Creme" it's a peachy, pink totally not what it looked like on the little sample. Your house is looking really good :D

Susan said...

Can't wait until Monday!! I am excited to see the progress!