Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Egg Hunt

Well. What a day!! I was at the office at 8:30 finishing up things for the Easter Egg Hunt, and when I went outside I thought "Wow what a nice day!" and by the time I left the office for the egg hunting site at 10:00 the weather had totally changed. Talk about WIND!! Oh yeah, and the people using the theatre in the Town Hall the night before left a door open so I got called twice by my husband saying the alarm was bothering Main Street, and I had to go back and check it out. That thing is pretty loud. We finally walked through the entire building and found the problem.

But anyway, the wind was blowing at like 100 mph and it was freezing! I went home and got a coat to hide the eggs so I wouldn't freeze, and I wasn't sure how many kids would actually show up. The wind made it so a microphone didn't work, and my paper signs? Well, I didn't even try to put them up. I used yellow "CAUTION" tape to mark off the areas and it was almost laughable, because every time I tried to stretch it out the wind would catch it and rip it! Needless to say, some children had no clue where they were going, and we had a few older kids running around snatching eggs from 6 years olds. Argh. Our estimate on attendance was about 200 kids, and there were 3000 eggs to find, so I think most kids made out okay. I know there are always kids who go crazy and then some who don't get any, but we kept some back just for that, and we did give some out to a couple of kids who were egg-less. The bounce house seemed like a hit, if the long line for it said anything. The fire guys decided not to show since they didn't think the kids would hang around very long, which they didn't, and the Easter tattoos didn't make it out of their packaging, either. One lucky kid won some swim lessons, so that was good, but I couldn't put up a big sign in the wind so I'm sure there were parents who didn't know we were even doing a draw. DANG WIND! Haha that's what we get for living in Southern Alberta!

So, as people were arriving for the hunt, one of my co-workers came up to me and told me he had some bad news - my car had just been hit. A parked car. No other cars near it, RED, and someone hit it. Turns out it was an older lady who lives across the street, and she just backed out of her driveway, across the street, and into my car! She told this guy I work with, who came and told me, but I never saw her and I had no idea who she was. I was distracted by kids with prizes, and finally Clark showed up so I told him about it and he called the police to come and make a report. They showed up and told us to go to the RCMP station to do the report, so we drove down there and did that. Now we just have to go to the insurance company and get our car fixed! What a day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know any kid that doesn't like being outside even if it's windy. My kids had a good time! Sorry, about your car getting hit...that is a bummer :(

Anonymous said...

That sounds like the worst day ever. Sorry to hear that :(. We were going to come to that easter egg hunt with Chloe but the weather sucked.

WIND RUINS EVERYTHING.