Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Just a Mom

I've never liked when people said "I'm just a mom," or when people talked about someone else being "just a mom." I don't think anyone is "just" a mom - being a mom is HUGE - but today? Today I wanted to be "just a mom."


(I don't have any pictures, but blog posts without pictures just aren't fun, so here's my lame attempt to incorporate some visual interest :))

We're 22 weeks, and even though I really do like my job, I'm already looking forward to some things about maternity leave. I'm excited to not be the Kinsey Holt who works for the Town for awhile. I'm looking forward to getting to hang out with the friends who get to go to the pool with their kids during the day while I sweat at my desk. :) I'm looking forward to going to the grocery store and running errands in the middle of the day in the middle of the week.

Today was one of those days where I dealt with upset patrons, complaints about a lifeguard, complaints about the prices, complaints, complaints, complaints.

Even though the public is often the hardest part of my job, it's also the best part of my job. I have loved getting to know people in the community better, and working with them. There are some really awesome people in this town. I think I'll miss being "in" on some things, like the Summer Games next summer. Managing 23 of them can be challenging, but I do like all of my lifeguards at the pool. I like getting to know them all and seeing some of them grow up, or gain confidence, or discover they're talented at something they didn't know they were, like teaching kids how to swim. I love when people actually say thank you to you after you tried really hard to make something fun for them. I love seeing programs run successfully. I really do like my job - it's a great job. It's absolutely crazy sometimes, but there are definitely things that make it worth it.

But I'm still looking forward to being "just a mom" for awhile. :)


3 comments:

Jennie Holt said...

kins you're gonna be such a good mom!! its the best!

Amy said...

I cannot wait for you to be on mat leave so we can hang out all day doing nothing ;)
P.s. I honestly don't know how you do all that you do for the town. People have no idea how many hours you put in.

Christal said...

Love this honest post you are amazing!! and you will be such an awesome mom!! The things you deal with are crazy and when you actually get to "just be a mom" that will be the greatest feeling to not have people bugging you 24/7 I try not to add to that by calling for other reasons :) The town is lucky to have someone like you you are awesome at your job and I'm so glad I get to work with you on Sundays! Like amy said people have no idea the lengths you go to for them and the on callness of you job!! You are the best!!