Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sleep

My baby is getting heavy! If you see me awkwardly lugging around her carseat please don't laugh. Especially on Sundays - ah heels and carseats... This child is already 13 pounds!

I am loving this warm weather. I just shot an engagement session on Saturday which made me pretty grateful for warmer temperatures! Clark had Ava at home and I think they had fun together. :) The wedding is in a couple of months so I'll have to coordinate things with Ava. How do people go back to work full-time after a couple of months? That would be so hard. I had a hard time being gone for 4 hours!

I am excited to set up my new studio and play! I'll be doing discounted sessions (half off) in Feb and March so if you know of anyone having a baby soon send them my way - now that Ava is past that squishy stage I want to hold a newborn again! I saw a 3-week old at church today - so sweet. I don't miss getting up every 3 hours in the night, though. :)

I got a nap today! Ava actually slept for a couple of hours. Church kind of throws our day off so she was pretty tired. It was amazing. So many of my thoughts in a day involve sleep. I think my sleep requirement is more like 9 hours a night. Any tips for bumping up bedtime? Staying up 'till midnight every night is taking its toll...I thought I'd get used to it but I'm just not a night person. Just ask my friends from elementary about sleepovers. I was always the first one asleep. Part of that was my dad's warnings about not acting tired when he woke me up to work the next day.

One time my friends (?) woke me up at around 3 or 4 am and told me my dad was there to pick me up. I was so worried about not acting tired and getting in trouble I jumped out of bed, threw my clothes on, grabbed my bag and was running up the stairs (literally running) before they told me it was a joke. My patents hated sleepovers (I'm sure it had nothing to do with cranky, tired kids...haha). Saturdays were all about getting work done at my house.

I was at the Parent Link Center the other day for infant massage and we all had to say what surprised us about having our baby. I said I was surprised at how awful breast feeding could be. I really was - I heard all the birth stories, and people talked about sleep deprivation and the plethora of diapers, and lots of other things, but not one person really warned me about breast feeding. I naively thought it would be easy and natural. I was not at all prepared for cracking, bleeding, and red spit-up for over 2 months. Now, in talking to moms, I hear similar stories like it's common - so why didn't anyone tell me? Thank goodness for great neighbors with breast pumps, and Dr. Newman's cream. And a Mom to cry to. :)

On a positive note, the other thing that surprised me was how awesome being a mom is. It's been hard and sometimes I am so tired, but I had no idea how much I would love being Ava's mom. Having her spot me across a room when someone else is holding her, and seeing that huge smile is the coolest thing ever. Hearing her make her little noises like she's talking to me and watching her blow bubbles is so fun. I can't get over her smiles. I am totally in love with my baby girl.


2 comments:

Jennie Holt said...

Whats not to love? she is so gorgeous!

The Lowry's said...

Are you just doing half off for newborns or other shots as well? I might be interested in doing 6 months photos of Shanelle which would be March 23rd (doesn't have to be that exact date obviously) I'll talk to you at massage or when we go for a walk :)