I was recently asked by our ward enrichment leader to help her with a family home evening enrichment. Enrichment is an activity for women in our church. In our church, we hold family nights with our own families every Monday, and sometimes people run out of ideas. Someone requested that the Relief Society (women's organization in the church) show what a family home evening should be like, and offer ideas and host a discussion on things to do.
The lady who asked me to do this mentioned that she was asking me because of my degree in Recreation. This reminded me of my favorite class - Family Recreation! I've been going back over my notes and I get excited all over again! I don't think I even got an A in this class (A-), but it was my favorite. Our professor was working on her Ph.D and she was one of my more hard core instructors. Family Recreation sounds like a joke of a class, but it really wasn't. This lady was serious about the subject. She was passionate about it, and I think she really made an impression on most of the class, if not all. So, in a nutshell, I'm passionate about family recreation!
A proclamation put out by our church had this to say about it:
Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities (emphasis added).
I've emailed a few of my cousins/aunts for ideas on what they do for FHE, and what works/doesn't work for them so if I haven't talked to you, and you can help me out, please email me at ktorrie@gmail.com!
I'm doing this presentation/discussion next Wednesday. Thanks!
1 comment:
Since I read your blog and normally don't comment so I should introduce myself. I grew up in the same ward as your hubby and I graduated with his brother Jared.
I find as a mom with little kids doing FHE is sometimes a chore, but we are working at it. My favourite so far is Movie night, note when your kids are little always pick the movie out, it is nice to give kids a choice, but you would literally spend hours waiting for them all to agree on the same movie. Now with my kid's being ages 2 & 4 their attention span isn't all that long, so we actually have dinner while the movie is starting...kind of combines living-room-picnic with movie night. Completely keeps the kids occupied until they really get into the movie.
Another idea is to come up with activity ideas as a family, put them into a bag and then the day before family night someone gets to pick out an idea & that is what will be the activity for FHE. And for the lesson simply find an LDS bookstore that carries 52 Weeks of Famiy Nights by Tamara Bagget..it is full of lesson ideas that are short, spiritual and simple.
A baking activity is always fun. This combines the treat and the activity. Like today for instance, I had the kid's help me bake a pumpkin pie from scratch for tonight. I find the getting organized and everything crammed into one evening just doesn't work, so we prepare things a few days before or the day before.
Another fun idea, go to an exercise/dance class for all ages.
Check your community's website to see what is available for recreational activities. Another good way to find ideas is to simply google family home evening ideas/blogs. I also made sure to get myself an FHE Board. Making one can even be an FHE activity. Hope that helps.
Post a Comment