Phew! I have been looking at a plethora of houseplans lately, and they're all starting to run together...I didn't know it would be so hard to find a plan I loved! There's always a thing or two (or three or ten) that I would change. And yes, I'm picky. Even though you already believe me, because you know me, I'll show you why. This is the list I came up with of things I want/don't want in my house:
Wish List
-Mud room from garage (little kids get dirty!) with space for coats, shoes, etc.
-L-shaped kitchen counter for a workspace, or an island
-Big kitchen, like 12x14 ish
-laundry room, not hall closet with machines in it
-big master suite with walk-in closet, corner tub, double vanity, and toilet in its own separate little room
-corner/walk-in pantry
-attention drawn to front entrance – don’t want front door down a tunnel
-basement
-rear deck
-fireplace in great room
-foyer/marked entrance, not just a door straight into great room
-2-car garage – not 1 1/2
-High ceilings
-Stairs not RIGHT by front/back entrance, but not down a dark hallway
-Lots of cupboard space
-3 bedrooms up
-Storage
-Open floor plan, but not so open that you walk in and see the kitchen sink with dishes
-Big windows
-Master bedroom not off kitchen
-Walk-in closets off dressing area, not opposite side of room as bathroom
-No bedrooms off the great room or foyer or dining room - some kind of separation (ex. small bend/hallway)
And all of this in a house under 1500 s.f. :)
We actually found a plan we loved, but it's too wide for the lot we have (by 16"). Go figure! The way it's laid out makes it pretty hard to just chop off 16" so we went back to looking at plans. We're not building until spring, but lately I've been wanting to just have the plan picked out so we can figure out how much this is going to cost us. And so I can plan the flooring, and the doors, and the countertops, and the cabinets, and the furniture, and the paint colors, and the decor.....:)
Living in our little apartment will make me grateful to have anything bigger (full-size oven, fridge and bathroom!)! And I'm not complaining; I know my parents and grandparents and their parents and grandparents lived in basements and spider holes and cooked on a woodburning stove and never had a dishwasher, and I'm grateful we have a place to live. :) I'll just be that much more excited to have a house of my own!
16" too wide

6 comments:
What is your max width? I've wasted so much time looking at house plans. It's ridiculous, and still can't find the perfect one. I've had the best luck on www.homeplans.com.
The other sight I've loved is www.herhome.com. Check out this plan:
http://www.herhome.com/home-plans/plan-details.asp?Plan=1267
The exterior isn't very cute, but that could be changed. Good Luck!
Wow congrats on the house... I wish I could buy a house!!!
Thanks! Our max width is 65 ft. Where are you thinking of building?
BArnwell. Not this year though. We need to wait until we are in a higher tax bracket first.
Hey you had a nice wish list for your house plans.
Make website india
Post a Comment