Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A mess in the kitchen...

After my introspective rambling post about ongoing learning, etc., I decided that one thing I needed to become better at was cooking/baking. So, I set out to make a chocolate pie tonight. Clark's grandma used to make chocolate pie and he says it's his favorite, so I figured I had better be the good wife and figure this out. And it was an adventure. A little.

First, I played it safe and used a frozen pie crust. I took that out of the freezer to thaw and started on the filling. Separating yolks from eggs? Got that down. :) Mixing in the milk slowly? I'm all over that. Everything was going well and I was feeling pretty good, until....

I used google to figure out how much chocolate there was in 2 oz., roughly. The forum I landed on had lots of answers - they all said 1 cup or maybe a bit more. For 8 oz. And I merrily dumped a cup and a half of chocolate in. So, I QUADRUPLED the amount of chocolate the recipe called for, in case you didn't want to do the math. I mean, it's pretty hard. ;) Seriously. Sheesh!

But it gets better.

So I decided to just go with it, and I made plans to water (?) it down with vanilla pudding or a lot of creamy something. Form what I could taste, it wasn't the worst mistake I'd ever made, and I figured it was rescue-able.

I finished the filling, feeling amazing about myself since I didn't scorch the bottom, and poured it into the pie shell. The RAW pie shell. Yes, I do continually amaze myself. So I scraped it back out, and luckily had another frozen pie shell. I baked that one and filled it up and voila! Chocolate pie in my fridge. The filling was actually really good - rich, of course, but good. :)

And that is the story of The Chocolate Pie.

This is a picture of somebody else's chocolate pie, but it was the closest to my pie I could find, and I wish I had this person's countertop:

Photobucket

5 comments:

Sh'Nell said...

You have a great sense of humor and good for you for rescuing and not giving up!

chelseyk17 said...

oh, kinz, the joys of cooking/baking! the chocolate pie sounds so go, though. mmmmmm ...

Julie said...

I seriously think that some of the greatest tasting things come from mistakes then improvising. That pie sounds delicious. There is no such thing as too much chocolate!

Susan said...

I agree with that last comment...no such thing as too much chocolate!! Way to be the good wife!!

Candice said...

I couldn't post a comment on Kinsey T so I'm posting here......I love the Vintage card too cute!

Oh ya and the pie...sounds delish!