Sunday, October 25, 2009

Cooking

I have been so bad at meals lately. Clark was in Calgary for the weekend for his CASB program, and I went and hung out at my parent's house for the weekend. I got back and knew that we didn't really have any food, but I was determined I was going to cook something.

Clark had to race off to a rehearsal for a church fireside, so I looked in my cupboards. Wow - I really had nothin'! Haha so I started flipping through a family cookbook and found this casserole recipe my great grandma used to make. It didn't take very many ingredients, and the only meat it called for was tuna, which luckily, I had 1 can of! So, I start melting butter and adding flour and then stopped, wondering if I actually had any cream of chicken (or cream of anytihng!) soup. I checked the cupboards - nope. So I utilized google, and get this - there are substitutes for cream of chicken soup! Lol, there are substitutes for anything! I wasn't actually totally surprised that there was a substitute - I was surprised that I had everything to make it. So, I made homemade cream of chicken soup substitute. And it wasn't too bad!

Now the casserole is in the oven, so we'll see how it worked out. Oh and of course halfway through the recipe I realized that my dear grandmother didn't remember to include a baking temperature or time, so I guessed on that, too. Story of my life - I'm a mess in the kitchen. I redeem myself with mashed potatoes. Thank goodness Clark is such a big fan! :)


Update: Okay, the casserole turned out!! And I'm not as much of a mess in the kitchen, as that I MAKE a really big mess in the kitchen. :) I guess I'm off to do clean up...

1 comment:

Susan said...

Way to go on the casserole!! Clean up is always the worst part!